• 1 in 5 adults experience mental illness.
• More people are lost to suicide than homicide every year.
• People with mental health issues are NOT more likely to be violent than anyone else.
• Loss and trauma, physical illness, genes, brain chemistry, and family history can all contribute to the development of mental health problems.
• Poor mental health is not a sign of personal weakness; but getting help is a sign of strength.
Adapted from: http://www.mentalhealth.gov/basic/myths-facts/.AccessedFeb2016